Can we just pretend it is April 1st again, please? Because somehow the entire month has passed by so quickly that I have yet to post about Easter eats, my birthday eats, the actual Boston Marathon, and all that other stuff that has happened in between. Somehow in all that hoopla I forgot my best friend’s birthday, made a batch of cookies that never rose, then made a batch of super-flat muffins, and had a few nice runs. It all balances out I guess, the good and the bad.
This is a “What I am Loving Lately Post” because there is a great deal to love about April, namely..
1) Working in the garden and planting veggies before it becomes too ding-dang hot. It is incredible to watch a seedling transform into a monster tomato plant in just 6 weeks. I eagerly watch them everyday, how they change and grow, and those things literally grew an inch a day for while. Is this how raising a human baby feels, with less crying and poo?
We grow everything organically and currently grow 4 types of tomatoes, 4 types of squash, onions, shallots, eggplant, bellpeppers, lemons, key limes, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, oranges, and a host of herbs. Marigolds planted around the perimeter keep off pests!
2) This adorable reusable bag to adorn yourself with at the farmer’s market . This is waaaay cooler than anything you have seen. Promise! Inside the front pocket you will find 2 re-usable, matching grocery bags.
Then, look inside and , BAM, you have a whole other galaxy, the cooler. But that’s not all. ANOTHER adorable clip-on fabric wallet that holds…you guessed it…another re-usable bag. This is starting to sound like an infomercial.
Now, you won’t ever be the dodo that forgets your reusable bag at the farmer’s market, has to endure hippies staring at you in disbelief as you grab yet another plastic bag and sheepishly carry them all to your car hoping no one notices..oh and then one breaks and you have to frantically collect rogue tomatoes rolling between people’s feet..not that that happened to me or anything.
3) This cookbook from Back in The Day Bakery.
It is FAR from healthy, so very far, sigh, ….but I plan on tweaking the recipes so you can enjoy them without concern that you just gained a pound from that cookie. Sweets are not healthy, but you CAN include nutritious ingredients rather than eat a nutritionally-empty calorie bomb as an occasional treat.
I ran home to make the lemon loaf from the book, and mine below turned out pretty incredible. So. good. people.
4) Local Strawberries, used in this cake I made for Easter. Yes, friends, two cakes in one post, because there has been more cake eating than usual this month! Back to local strawberries, which are tiny, super-sweet, and bear little resemblance to those gargantuan ones at the grocery store. Give them a try! You can use them in so many healthy ways, such as smoothies, yogurt parfaits, just for snacking, and of course for baking!
I used Southern Living’s Strawberry Mousse Cake recipe, but changed the outside frosting recipe to include lemon zest and juice.
5) New running kicks, Asics GelNeo 33. In case you did not know, I work in the running business, so , I will most likely have some shoe reviews here. I will tell you the honest truth ,too if I do not like them.
I have to say I love these. I have only ever run in the Asics Kayanos, but lately those have felt heavy. These feel lighter, and they are grey, which means they will show less dirt. I need a bit of support for my feet, so these work perfectly and they are pretty eye-catching.
Just so you know, I was not paid to review anything in this post. These are just some of my faves from April that I felt I should share.
Coming up tomorrow, a healthy and filling farmer’s market -fresh pasta salad.